The German Pfeffernusse Cookies are also
called Pepper Nuts Cookies.If you want to
serve these delicious German Pfeffernusse
Cookies on Christmas day then they need
to be prepared few days in advance as
they taste the best as they age.
|All Purpose Flour||4 Cups|
|White Sugar||3/4 Cup|
|Brown Sugar||½ Cup|
|Butter (unsalted)||1/2 Cup|
|Allspice powder||1 Tsp.|
|Baking Powder||1½ Tsp.|
|Cinnamon Powder||2 Tsp.|
|Nutmeg Powder||1 Tsp.|
|Clove Powder||1 Tsp.|
|Ginger ground||1 Tsp.|
|Black Pepper Powder||1 Tsp.|
|Cardamom Powder||11/2 Tsp.|
|Anise Extract||2 Tsp.|
|Icing Sugar||1 Cup|
Tools: Oven, Beater, A large mixing bowl, Shallow dish, a large saucepan, sifter, cookie sheets, wooden spatula, melon baller, wax papers
- Sift the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, black pepper, baking soda and salt 3 times with the help of a sifter in a shallow dish.
- Place molasses, honey and butter in a large saucepan. Heat it on low flame and stir it until butter melts completely. Let it cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl stir eggs and the anise extract to make it fluffy and creamy. Add molasses mixture to it and blend it well with the help of the beater until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Now fold in flour mixture with the help of a wooden spatula to the molasses mixture slowly and mix it well such that all ingredients are blended well together.
- Cover it and keep it into the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C once the dough is chilled enough to make cookies.
- Take cookie sheets, grease it and keep it aside.
- With the help of a melon baller(optional) make equal size of balls from the cookie dough.
- Keep these balls on the greased cookie sheets at the distance of 1-2 inch as the balls will spread once baked.
- Place cookie sheets into the preheated oven; bake it for 13- 15 minutes.
- When cookies are baked let it cool for 2 min such that it should not cool completely.
- Transfer the cookies by flat spatula with a great care in to shallow dish as the cookies are warm, can break easily. Sprinkle icing sugar on it such as to cover the cookies thoroughly.
- Store these delicious German Pfeffernusse Cookies in an airtight jar keeping wax paper between the layers.
- Serve these tasty Pfeffernusse Cookies which is a perfect snack, after few days of aging with hot coffee or milk.